<body>



Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Book Introduction 2.0 (Comment Here!)

The water was hotter than I could stand. I was dipping my toe into a natural hot spring full of naked Californians, just one week into my month-around-the-world vacation. As I submerged an entire ankle in the scalding pool the thought struck me: “I don’t have to go home…..ever.”

In the flickering candle light of the cavern, I examined this ridiculous thought, and realized that amazingly, incredibly it was true. I had clothes, I had my wallet, and I had my lap top. Having converted my professional practice to an internet business, I actually didn’t have to go home……ever. Three years later, I still haven’t.


YOU HAVE SO MUCH to share.

Your life experience is valuable. Whether it's being married, or getting divorced. Whether having a child, or losing someone dear to you. Whether creating a million dollar business, or failing at three startups. Or perhaps it's simply how you got your first job or found a way to stick to your diet!

If only there was a way to share that with the world so that:

1) you could truly impact, and make a difference in, the world
2) you reached thousands or millions of people, instead of hundreds
3) you could do this from any location on the planet, creating geographical freedom.
4) you were well paid for it

And – I know this isn’t for everyone, but if you wanted to – what if you could automate it, so you can be asleep or on vacation - and still be helping the world, while your bank account goes up!

Sound impossible? Outrageous? Too good to be true? Just another ‘you can do anything book?’

Does it offend you because you believe a person should work 40-60 hours a week, 50 weeks of the year to make a living? Could you be uncomfortable with great wealth and success, however you define it? Do you hold a belief that only technical or business-minded people can do it?

Or have you sensed that this is possible for some time now? Have you always known that you have a lot to offer; that there is a group of people wanting to learn from you. Perhaps you have intuited that what you know, even what you THINK, has value. Perhaps you have glimpsed the concept of getting paid not so much for what you do, but who you ARE.

Isn't it true that you would love nothing more than to share what you know with the world, to hundreds, thousands, if not millions - if only you knew the process?

Now I’m not promising you’ll definitely make internet millions. It took hard work for me to reach the $85,000 a month I’m averaging now. And I won’t promise you a ‘four hour work week’. The author of that book and I both work way more hours than that, although it’s by choice. For many of you making a fortune and never working again are not your priorities.

But I will tell you they are both very possible outcomes of following the process outlined in this book. And if these goals seem too impossible, lofty or ‘hyped up’ to you, let’s look at some more down to earth goals that are easier to wrap the mind around:

How would your life be enhanced if you made an extra $3000 per month on the side using this book, while keeping your day job?

How would it feel to cut back to a job working only 2 or 3 days a week because your ‘how to’ CD is starting to sell really well?

What if your final result was simply having all the clients you could handle from the internet, and doubling your fees?

What would it be worth to you to transition to something you really care about, receiving 5 thank you notes a week from people you have helped?


“WHAT DO YOU DO?” people ask me, and the answer changes every time. It just doesn’t fit into what their ears are expecting:

I work from my laptop wherever I am.

I sell information products in 49 countries using the internet.

I publish an electronic newsletter, an ezine, to 70,000 solo service professionals.

I’m a speaker.

I’m a writer.

A trainer.

An internet marketer.

A traveler having fun with his friends.

A creator of information products.

But the bottom line? I share everything I learn with the people who need to hear it. I’ve created a river of information that ‘streams’ out to the world, while I’m asleep or on vacation. I’ve also set it up so that people can pay a fair exchange for the information. Apparently by magic, the solution streams from my psyche into their psyche, and a fair exchange of money streams from their wallet into my bank account. All without requiring my presence or my time.

Imagine if every time you learned to do something well, you added it to an automatic information stream. One day it’s a Top Ten List of how to improve your relationship, or you record a conversation with my partner and upload it to the web. An idea strikes you for a cool life quiz, and you have my assistant – whom you've never met – draft something for you to review on your iphone while you're spending time with friends.


Personally I think this creative energy, the process of taking your own life experiences, thoughts, and feelings and turning them into solutions for others, is the most enjoyable and interesting thing about this new lifestyle. It’s very fulfilling to get a constant stream of thank you notes from around the world.

And it’s a blast! When I found I could sound like a digeridoo (an Aboriginal musical instrument), I uploaded a silly video viewed by hundreds of people, just for fun. When Ben and Jerry’s opened a vote for which ice cream flavor would be resurrected from it’s flavor graveyard, 438 of my subscribers generally voted for Wavy Gravy – even over their own favorite flavor.

But my friends are most fascinated about my lifestyle. They constantly want to know how it is that I work from home. How is it that I can live in any country that I like? What is it about my job that let’s me play squash at 11am, have a massage at 2, and audition for a commercial for an Australian bank at 4?

They all want to know how I can surf in Australia for a month, spend 6 weeks starting a new business in the Philippines, party with 1,000 millionaires in Morocco, and when I come home my bank account is higher than it was before. What allows me to do a phone interview with an Irish radio station, have my picture in a Marie Claire ‘cuddle party’ article, and then teach squash for two weeks at a Jamaican resort? How do I have time to create new products and services for people, when most people are fighting fires in their businesses.

I started to consider a book to show people the process. When T. Harv Eker’s people asked me to speak at their Never Work Again conference, for the first time I told 1,200 people how I did it. I was surprised to see tears after the speech as people got in touch with how deeply they want to make a difference in the world, and share what they know, but also how frustrated they are in not knowing how to do it. But I realized that it was still a little confusing and daunting to people.

So at the next speech, I broke the whole procedure down into a simple 7 step process. When I offered a self study training program on how to do it, people were literally running for my booth, with one now famous woman leaping onto the table! It was now very clear that a book was needed.

Now personally, I don’t mind whether you start your own business or work for someone else. It doesn’t matter to me if you work 9-5 every day or create your own schedule. You can stay your whole life in one city, or travel the world creating solutions from an RV.

But it DOES matter to me if you are doing something you don’t love. It DOES matter to me if you are not happy, fulfilled and lit up because you’re using your creative energy; not expressing who you are; not sharing what you love with the world. It DOES matter to me of you don’t go for creating the lifestyle you dream if because you say it doesn’t exist, or you doubt your ability.

If you want a standard, traditional 9-5 job, then set this book back on the shelf; it’s not for you.

But if you want the freedom to earn money for who you are, to live where you like, to set your own schedule, and to get your time back….

Then I invite you to use the same process I did to create the lifestyle that serves you, and others.

It would be sad to me if you missed out on a lifestyle of contribution, creativity and fun, simply because you decided it wasn’t possible for you. I’d hate to think it was because your negative self talk told you: “That’s for other people. I’m not creative. I don’t know business.”

“Something new cannot enter your life, until first you create the possibility”

For years no-one broke the four minute mile because it just wasn’t possible. No-one sailed around the earth because everyone knew it was flat.

When a baby elephant is born in a circus, they tie it’s leg to a stake with a strong chain. Over time, they gradually reduce the thickness of the chain until a full grown elephant is ‘held’ by a flimsy piece of rope. It’s tied to a stake, because it believes it is.

You could say a lifestyle of abundance, contribution and freedom isn’t possible for you, or you can test the strength of your leg rope.

Create the possibility for yourself. Without knowing the steps.

I’ll show you the rest.

I will show you the 7 steps to creating a lifestyle of contribution, impact, creativity, financial freedom, and geographical freedom.

Help the world. Live anywhere. Be creative. Be wealthy. Work a lot, or a little. Be free.

In this book you will learn the 7 step process that I used to create this lifestyle, impacting over 100,000 people and funding my travels and adventures, through an automated helping-the-world-type-business. You’ll learn the same 7 step process that is now helping hundreds of people to ditch their 9 to 5 job and create the lifestyle they dream of - even if you're non-technical or doubt you have something valuable to offer.

I'll show you how to get paid for what you know and love.

I'll show you....

how to get paid for who you are.

******

Thanks for reading the draft intro! If you were going to shorten it, exactly what paragraph(s) would you take out?

Comment here.

Thanks,

David

Labels:

29 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger David Wood said...

Wonderful comments on the old draft intro - thanks guys!

So this is a completely revised introduction - much longer to address three things:

1) add a story
2) more on why people should listen to me, and why I wrote the book
3) address concerns about 'hype' or too good to be true.

I'm torn - I want to go for it, the way Tim did with '4 hour work week', and polarize and provoke. but I also want to tone it down for people who find it too much to wrap the brain around, which I think is most. What some people are achieving is kind of on a different planet - so maybe toning it down is a good idea.

Anyway, please read Introduction 2.0 and post comments here!

Thanks again everyone,

David

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
Felicidades!
I love the way you are going around this very good idea, asking for feedback!
I like your Intro but you can make it better! It still sounds like you are selling it. I beleive your strongest asset in your honesty and being true to what you believe so get more of that in there.
A good Intro gives you a strong start with something you can connect to, but it also gives you an idea of the complete book and a little bit of your conclusions so maybe you can put more of that.
Love to keep reading your progress.
Coach Eliane
Mexico City
belauste@prodigy.net.mx

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love it - made me want to get the book right now!

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

This definitely resonates much better with me than the first draft. I will second coach Elaine's comments. You don't need to sell it as much as state it and show where you are going in the book and why. The back of the book and your ad copy will sell the book.

One question that arose for me as a potential reader is whether this process is something I could actually do or does it require a super human such as David Wood to really make it work. I have read, listen to and emulated many a program that at its core actually says, "just think and act the way I do instinctively based on the sum of my life experience and you will be successful like I have been." In the introduction, I personally would like some realistic perspective on what will actually be required from me. Another way of looking at this is as managing expectations. This book will not appeal to everyone on the planet, but for those who do read it, you want it to deliver what they expect it to deliver. What they expect it to delivery is what you tell them it will deliver (plus all their unfounded hopes, if you don't manage that as well;-).

On a more mundane note, there are a number of grammatical errors and awkward sentences that I am assume have to do with the creative process and getting it out quickly and would be addressed as you move towards the final draft.

Good luck again,

Phil Nimtz
Silver Spring, MD USA
pnimtz@equinoxcoaching.com

 
At 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, much better than version 1. I must confess I didn't read it for grammatical stuff - it seems to flow and I just got drawn in to it too much. If you're wanting it proof read as well as content-commented then tell us.
It may be too hypey still but I don't think people will object too much - partly its what they would expect of a book of this nature and it does make it kind of compelling. Roll on the next chunk

 
At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE version two! I think there is a lot more of David Wood the person here; we get the story & we also hear some of the opportunities available to those who wish to pursue them. Which is a very valid point - the book may not be a 'one-stop-success-shop' for everyone, but that's great...this book is not for them! What it will be is a literal smorgasboard of workable ideas, techniques & tools to help real people get what they really want. If we compare contents to be like ice cream - it's cool, refreshing & most everyone likes it. There's lots of different flavours too, so we have plenty of choice; some we'll adore, some we'll just like & others we may not be fussed with. But hey - it's all great, and it hits the spot when we need it!
(NB - sorry David - the Ben & Jerry's quote set me off!) I look forward to some more flavours soon!

 
At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Brit we are far more reluctant to believe the hype that appears to be too good to be true. To sell well here please keep us synical brits in mind.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

This is a beautiful intro to your book. I won't comment on the grammar.

The question as to whether it takes a "superhuman" or not could be addressed either by saying how you started (unless of course you were born superhuman in which case it does not help us mere mortals) or by setting in brief terms how it can be done (even better perhaps a brief testimonial from another mere mortal).

Perhaps address it directly "These 7 steps do not require superhuman effort or intelligence just the simply abiltiy to focus your mind on what it is you want. What is more the guidance I give in the book will take you through every step of the way."

Speaking as another cynical Brit I think you have the balance about right, although I allow more lattitude to you enthusiastic Americans ;-)

Andy

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David
Only a short specific one. As an Aussie from the bottom of the world I thought your references to a number of different locations across the world helped create a connection with the wider audience. I know that this alone is not a sound reason for purchase but it is enough to personalise and have the reader continue further and increase the chance of consideration.
I enjoyed the stories and relections of your experiences.

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you make it shorter?

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading the intro David but I still don't know if you're talking to me, trying to show me how to build a successful life, or talking to everyone else at the same time. Put it that way: if we were in a cafe having a chat I'd have the feeling that you're talking with me but you're getting distracted and making sure that that man sitting at the table behind us can hear you, too. With the kind of message that you have it's easy to try and reach everyone on this planet as the benefits are so great for... everyone.
My point is: don't tell me what "the people who need to hear it" should do - I'm not interested; I may think that I was always so clumsy, stupid and always had such a bad luck that putting me in one group with other - better than me - people makes me shy away from even trying. Or maybe I think that I'm smarter than the mob you're talking about, and I feel that you're trying to "tone it down" so much that it becomes another average stuff for average people – not too weak, not too strong, nothing special. Don’t talk to a crowd out there David, talk to me. Selfish? Maybe; but that’s how we read ads, choose and buy. What’s in it for me? My copywriting mentors teach me to choose one person only, and talk to her. Then another person, and talk to him. And again… but not to all of them at the same time.
By the way, you can use the word “you” twenty times on one page without achieving real intimacy with your readers.
I believe that if you changed your “goal” from “how to convince people to read the rest of the book” to “how to show some struggling, desperate soul a path to a happy, peaceful life full of choices” - your task would be easier. I guess you know one of the greatest sayings of our coaching world: “If you make your decision from the place of desperation, or fear – it’s most likely wrong; if you make it from the place of inspiration, or love – it’s most likely right.” Put more emphasis on reaching the students who are ready, David, and don’t worry about the rest. You can’t please everyone anyway, and you’ll always have some sourpuss looking for faults or a tyre kicker wasting your time, don’t waste your energy on them.
Good luck, and I’m buying this book – can’t wait! 

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey David, do you know this book? It's new (1 edition, October 4, 2007) and it's already got 111 reviews on Amazon.com

check it out
The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny

Publisher: Hudson Street Press;

ISBN-10: 1594630429
ISBN-13: 978-1594630422
(these are the hardcover ISBN numbers)

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awsome. Compelling, great use of metaphors. Finish this book damn it! I cant wait.

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were buying the book I'd leaf through the pages and see what is in it. Your introduction is fine, but don't make it too much longer I'm already hooked, and want to get on with it.
Thanks,
Nancy

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Lori Smith said...

I agree with everyone else. Hurry up and get it written!

It really pulls me in, which is great. Depending on the size of the book size you are going with 6-8 pages is likely too long.

Keep up the great work! You definitely are an inspiration to me. ;)

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Divorce Coach said...

Hi David

I really like the intro although I think it is a bit too long.

I agree with all the comments Andy made (I'm another Brit).

Keep up the good work.

Annie O'Neill
Divorce Coach

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Live your Dream said...

I definitely want to read more!!

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger librarycharm said...

I loved the intro. You had me glued to the screen to read it all.

Charm

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger barzel said...

Loved the first paragraph - got me interested straight away.

I think the intro's too long, though and I agree with Berry (being a fellow Brit).

Liked the part about not promising me a 4 hour week - showing that you're not talking about what seems to me to be miracles. Also the part about "an extra $3000 a month on the side" - I get the feeling I don't have to jump in at the deep end but can decide how deep I want to get in at first.

Am definitely interested to read more.

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I agree with Grazina.

3/4 of the way I stopped reading, it was just too long, and bits were repeated - not exactly the same words, but the same meaning... I think this adds to the feel of 'hype', its like 'yeah yeah, you've said that already, get to the point.

If you were to repeat any of the message through out, I would choose the "I want for you to do what you love" one, so more emphasis on meaning over money.


That said though, I do like your personal stories through out, and I do 'hear' your voice and what you want for the reader, it just gets lost in the .... wait for it.... "bull shit'. Yes, I am an Aussie :-).

Its just one persons opinion David...

Warmly,

Lisa O
lisa@integrabiz.com.au

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Ms. Stark's Blog said...

Opportunity to grow is only a thought a way....if you get rid of the clutter that accumulates and obscures opportunity. I am a slow learner...but somehow or another my life has been blessed with curiosity to explore many of the past and current dreams. I recently read John Assaraf's book "Having It All" [free chapter can be found at: The Laws of Earning Money free chapter: http://www.johnassaraf.com/blog/2007/11/06/the-laws-of-earning-money/
] and confirmed that opportunity is composed of continued self-grown and the willingness to put oneself out for the world. Best of luck to you in your venture..may it never get boring.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would cut out the "Does it offend you...." paragraph.

You've got some terrific magnetic material here; I wouldn't water it down with imaginary negatives...

Nancy Madlin

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just joined this conversation, so I didn't bother with version 1. (Everyone says this one is so much better!)
This reads like a sales letter. The intro tells me why reading the book is good for me. The first time through, I lost the story at about the 5th paragraph and started skimming the rest, only to give up and going back to the first with my "editor glasses" on.

Mike
Amaneunsis.com
This intro is too long, too autobiographical, without enough understanding of what the rest of the book is about.
I wanted to know if there was anything in this book will work for me. Based on the intro, if I was at the book store, I'd put it back on the shelf.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

"It would be sad to me if you missed out on a lifestyle of contribution, creativity and fun, simply because you decided it wasn’t possible for you. I’d hate to think it was because your negative self talk told you: “That’s for other people. I’m not creative. I don’t know business.”

“Something new cannot enter your life, until first you create the possibility”

For years no-one broke the four minute mile because it just wasn’t possible. No-one sailed around the earth because everyone knew it was flat.

When a baby elephant is born in a circus, they tie it’s leg to a stake with a strong chain. Over time, they gradually reduce the thickness of the chain until a full grown elephant is ‘held’ by a flimsy piece of rope. It’s tied to a stake, because it believes it is.

You could say a lifestyle of abundance, contribution and freedom isn’t possible for you, or you can test the strength of your leg rope."

I think that here you say it all. You want people to be enthusiastic and jump on your table, you want raving fans who can't wait... Or am I wrong here?
Maybe write a little bit more from the mind of your reader, you will not be able to convince the real sceptics anyway, and there are many people waiting for a book just like this. Just make sure that hey understand that the book is for them (and they probably already bought a dozen books with similar claims.. life is hard for us wirters...).
"Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

Btw, the passiontest is really awesome. You might be able to throw some of the ideas in here?

Big Hug from Portugal

Charlotte
stepfamilyheaven.com

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger eutyxus said...

Hi David,
As I read it, the interesting pace dropped off right through the section where you started your disclaimers. "Does it offend you ... etc". If you could somehow keep the positive feel going and only do the disclaimer as a side-light. e.g. "Well, I can show you how - even though I know we hard-working types can at first find it offensive that it can be done without 60 hours a week." (That's a rough idea- you'd do better than that with more time.)
eutyxus.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Vikki said...

Hello!
I think I'd like to see what 3 things are you trying to do here? What is YOUR ultimate goal for this chapter?
Right now, it seems to be
1) Promising me that you are for me
2) Selling me on your system
3)Selling me on your ability to inspire others (which is probably where alot of your selling comments are coming from).
Somehow, can you take only one paragraph to establish your credibility instead of 4 or 5?
I do not get that you understand, or that you were ever in my boat. I also (and for me this is huge) do not get that you are selling me a step by step blueprint that anyone with a lot of courage, some time and perseverance can follow. I'd really like to see that you were where I was, you understand, you learned and I can follow your footsteps and it would come together for me too.



Just something to play around with.... I wonder if you could temper the hype with little bit of your story..... i.e. - where you started and what you learned and that it took you awhile to learn. And, that there are nuggets you've gleaned along the way to cut the learning curve for the rest of us. I also wonder if tossing in

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DO YOUR PASSION!!!! Do your passion and then it is not the 40-hour work week with all that it implies. I want the rest of the book. Talk to me, tell how to do my passion on the net. Speaking to group does not get my passion out to the world. Talk to me like you are my coach, my mentor. I have to do it, but you have the guide the process by which I can do it.

Really can not wait for the rest.

Carpe diem
Sharonlee

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DO YOUR PASSION!!!! Do your passion and then it is not the 40-hour work week with all that it implies. I want the rest of the book. Talk to me, tell how to do my passion on the net. Speaking to group does not get my passion out to the world. Talk to me like you are my coach, my mentor. I have to do it, but you have the guide the process by which I can do it.

Really can not wait for the rest.

Carpe diem
Sharonlee

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Anna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home