<body>



Monday, December 24, 2007

I quit!

I just quit my job.

Which might sound strange since I work for myself.

I'm burned out - been working too hard, to the point where every waking and sleeping moment was about work. Everything blurred to the point that I forget what a day off looks like.

The results got too important - I got attached to the outcome, and started to feel a lot of pressure to make things happen. (Which is ridiculous!)

So I quit. At least for the next four days I'm only going to do what I want to do. As my good friend Nicole Daedone said: "It just has to feel good".

If I don't want to speak to groups - I won't speak. If it feels like too much pressure to put the pitch and sales stuff together, I won't worry whether I sell anything at the end of the speech. I'm done going for book endorsements unless they feel natural and fun. And I've chilled out about selling it to a publisher. (In my mind it's already sold and published, and it will do how it's going to do).

I don't have to earn any money in the next 12 months. I don't have to sell one product. I don't have to travel anywhere I don't want to, or for longer than I want. I don't have to hang out with anyone I don't want to - regardless of the business opportunity they might bring. I don't ~need~ to write a book, and if I do, I don't need anyone to buy it.

Being hyperfocused can be a gift. I get enormous things done in a short period of time. And...there's balance.

Will this last past Dec 27? I don't know. But it's feeling good right now, and I'm enjoying LOST and reading up on the environment.

So I quit.

I quit my own job.

David

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear. I did that a year ago October - I quit my self-created job and we moved from the heart of LA to a town of 7,000 in the forest deep in the heart of Texas. I had planned to retire (at 42) but it did not stick, and I ended up creating something totally new.

Some days were rough and there were tears, but now, after a full year in my "new" life, I have no regrets. Best wishes to you on this new path, whether it lasts until December 27 or 50 years. Enjoy the ride.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger David Wood said...

Thanks Jennifer ;-)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Paul Simister, Your Profit Coach said...

David I can understand the sentiments.
It's amazing how when you are your own boss, you become a much harder task master.

I've also been taking it easy over the Christmas break so that I get a good rest and come back strongly in 2008.

I've certainly got big plans for the Business Coaching Blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home