<body>



Tuesday, April 11, 2006

MM #59: 7 Steps to the Ideal Exploratory Session

1. Announcements/Offers


More Clients than You Can Handle

I’m thrilled at the great response to our advanced marketing CD set. If you're really ready for advanced marketing, I recommend you go to the web site and get your copy now. It ships within 2 business days, and you get immediate online access so you can listen in straight away.

EXPLODE YOUR COACHING PRACTICE™: Proven Practice Building Secrets to Give You More Clients Than You Can Handle.

These are actual recordings of my very best mentoring sessions with up and coming coaches over the past four years:

http://www.explodeyourpractice.com


Use our new support page instead of emailing

This email address is no longer monitored. Instead visit our new Support Center for instant access to answers and the ability to send tickets to Customer Support.




2. FEATURE: 7 Steps to the Ideal Exploratory Session - Part 1

Whether you are at a point in your coaching where you are completely comfortable approaching and securing new clients for yourself, or you have just begun, the tips below will support you in taking your coaching practice to the next level.

Use the following guidelines to set up your exploratory session for a new prospect. Of course, you'll want to adapt it to your own coaching style. Take the best for you, practice, review each session, fine tune, practice again, and repeat to the point where you are confident. You'll then be getting the response, results, and fees from your clients that you want and deserve.

The Exploratory Session

1) Set the context of the session

  • This really just means: agree why you are both speaking to each other.
  • Is it one-time inspiration? A feel good chat? Or a pre-cursor to major change in their life?
  • For me, it's to explore whether together we can make a MAJOR change in their life, or not. I let them know that at the end of the session there will be - if I feel it appropriate -an invitation to set up a committed coaching structure to support their goals.
  • If you skip this step, it's possible they will feel 'sold to' - best to have everything up front.
  • Let them know there's no obligation at all. And that you don't work with everyone. You'll only go forward together if it feels right on both sides. (It's even better if this is actually true!)


2) Locate their 'Hot Button'

  • Ask them to come up with ONE goal. You can start with three, but focus in quickly on ONE. Otherwise it's too scattered.
  • Help them to clearly define what one thing would really make a difference in their life right now. Ask how they would feel in their body if that were to happen and how their life would be different once that occurs. See if they can connect with the feeling. (Further questions to bring out the goals are covered in The CoachStart Manual.)
  • Check they believe it is possible. 'Pie in the Sky' dreams are not something they will pay for. If it doesn't seem possible, help them pick a more realistic goal, or help them see how it IS possible.


3) How a coach will make the difference

  • If they don't see how coaching can make the difference, you'll may have an inspired prospect, who will go off to try it on their own.
  • Help them see how the coaching will 'look'. Most people haven't had a coach, and don't even understand it's once a week on the phone for a fixed period of time, with home work. (I like to have them read about this before the session, so they are already getting used to the idea, and we don't waste time on it in the session).
  • Let them know coaching can be fun, enjoyable and rewarding process.
  • But more importantly - ASK THEM HOW COACHING WOULD HELP! It's ten times more valuable to both of you, if they come up with how it will help, instead of you trying to sell them on it. You can hint if they flounder and you can intuit how coaching will help this person.

4) Commitment

  • Get them 'off the fence'. Ask them, "How
    serious are you about making this change in your life?" Then they can truly
    look at if they are just blowing smoke or they really are going to do something.
    If they say they are really serious, your chances of a signing client just jumped
    higher.
  • Challenge them with 'uncommon compassion'. If you honestly think
    that if they don't sign up they won't do anything differently, consider telling
    them.
  • Let them know that it’s OK to think about it, but that’s NOT WHAT
    YOU’RE ABOUT. Thinking about it doesn't actually change lives. You are there,
    if they are ready for it, to get them to the place where they are doing more than
    “just thinking about” whatever it is they REALLY WANT in their life.

Part II

In the next issue we will cover the last three steps:

1. Objections
2. The invitation
3. Setting up your client.

Action: Prepare for your Exploratory Sessions

1. Write down a procedure/script/list of questions you would like to ask for your
exploratory sessions.

2. Decide how many introductory sessions you want to give in the next 60 days. For accountability post at the blog the number of sessions you will do, and by when! (Also any juicy questions or steps for your exploratory session that you are particularly proud of.)

* * *

This article was based on a recording of a coach mentoring session you can hear in the Explode Your Practice™ CD set:
http://www.explodeyourpractice.com.

Enjoy!

David

8 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Tad Hargrave said...

Hey there,

also for the intro session with people I can't recommend the work of Ari Galper of www.unlockthegame.com enough. his ability to engage people in a sales conversation while diffusing the pressure constantly is inspiring. I think every serious coach needs to check out his stuff.

warmest,
tad

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just my first exposure.

I'm good at creating customer relationships. Unfortunately, most around me are not. To them it's simply "walk in, do the basics, walk out."

This drives me nuts! As, I'm sure it does clients.

You may be the "one more brick in the road" I need to convince all parties that there's a bigger, better future out there.

-Anonymous The Younger,IV

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello David,

Thanks for the accountability challenge! I commit to 25 sample sessions between now and May 31. I'll keep you posted of my progress.

And for Grace...check out www.andywibbels.com, he's the guru of blogging. Just bought his book, it's full of juicy info for new bloggers...good luck and happy blogging!

 
At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi all,
As usual I liked Daid Wood advices.
Good luck Grace. You took a huge commitment.
I will follow Grace and I commit to do 50 exploratory sesssions in 100 days.
So till 28 July I will do at least 50 exploratory sesssions.
It will not be easy, but I will do my best to enjoy while I am on the way.
By the way I reccomend you all to read ISSUE #58: How I got 409 orders in 10 days
I took from there this advice of David wood :
"When I was building my coaching practice, I distributed 'Free Coaching Session' coupons to a couple of local masseuses, who started giving them away to new clients as a good will gesture, and mailing them out at Christmas! (And I'm going to give you the PDF so you can see exactly what I'm talking about)."
So now I am busy printing my own Coupons and belive that till tool will give me a good amount of sample sessions.
Good Luck you all .

Lior.

 
At 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all,
Thanks David and all of you for sharing and inspiring! Good luck!
My goal is to start as a corporate internal coach,with 10 executives and train them as internal coaches.Deadline: June 1st.
BUT...I have a question. WHO do I have to present an evaluation, IF I have to. Is it the HR Manager?
I think HE has to be the first to be coached.
Can you help me to get out of this dilema?!
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger David Wood said...

Good for you guys. Go for it!

Why not try the HR director, and if that doesn't work, the CEO?

Offering then a 30 minute session is a good idea - you could even challenge the CEO to a session if you're getting nowhere.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you said i would learn about what women whant in a relationship but all you talk about is being a coach....you lied a--h--e

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger liveyourlovoutloud said...

David you are my all time favorite. Thank you for sharing your bril mind. These steps have helped me get my third coaching client in 30 days, second paying! I miss the survey....what a simple tool to begin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home